|Captree State Park|
|Location||3500 East Ocean Parkway |
Babylon, New York
|Area||340 acres (1.4 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||1,124,776 (in 2014)|
|Website||Captree State Park|
Captree State Park is a 340-acre (1.4 km2) state park located in the towns of Babylon and Islip in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The park is located south of Captree Island on the easternmost end of Jones Beach Island, and overlooks the Fire Island Inlet and the westernmost section of Fire Island.
Captree State Park can be accessed via the Robert Moses Causeway and the Ocean Parkway. The park primarily provides boating and fishing access to the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island's Great South Bay, and numerous charter boats are available for fishing excursions.
Captree State Park is home to "The Captree Fleet", which comprises between 24 and 28 independently-owned charter boats that are available for fishing, scuba diving, sightseeing and excursion tours. The fleet is the largest public fishing fleet on Long Island. Anglers at or departing from the park typically target flounder, fluke, and sea bass.
The park also offers a marina and boat launch, picnic tables, a restaurant, a playground and recreation programs. Two piers are available for fishing and crabbing, and a put-in for kayaks is available for launching smaller watercraft.
The Fall Harvest and Seafood Festival is hosted each year at the park, in addition to several annual fishing tournaments and derbies. A free salt water fishing clinic is also held each year at the park by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and New York Sea Grant.
Like most New York State Parks, Captree charges entry fees for vehicles.
- "Captree State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 671. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 16, 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- "Captree State Park". Long Island Exchange. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- "Captree State Park - Hours of Operation". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- Stiegelmaier, Kevin (2012). "Captree State Park". Paddling Long Island and New York City: The Best Sea Kayaking from Montauk to Manhasset Bay to Manhattan. Birmingham, AL: Menasha Ridge Press. pp. 22–27. ISBN 978-0897325295. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Katherine Heinlein: President, Captree Fleet". Long Island Press. April 27, 2013. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- "Captree Island, NY Community Profile" (PDF). National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Northeast Fisheries Science Center. 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 27, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2015.